Taking care of business calls with a personal number can be annoying and not a good idea for your privacy. And one your business scales, you can’t manage all the calls on a single personal phone number. This is why startups and established businesses use business phone numbers. It helps you get a unique phone number through which you can manage all the calls easily.
Those ten digits aid in sales, client communication, and internal discussions. You can use the same business phone number for cell phones, laptops, desktops, and more. Multiple employees can use the same phone line. They can effortlessly redirect calls, answer them, record messages, and more.
A business phone number can be set up without any technical experience. You just need to install the application on your smartphone or system to get started. In this blog, you’ll learn how to get a business phone number, the different kinds of numbers, and the best features for your business.
Significance of Business Phone Number
You can use a business phone number for all your official communications, whether with other businesses or customers. Business phone numbers, often known as DID numbers, are not attached to a phone system. Customers can dial the phone number to get in touch for business-related inquiries, service, or any other reason.
This allows you to work with the same business phone number on multiple devices and in various locations using the provider’s app.
Business phone numbers might be local, toll-free, or customized. You can buy the service from a business number provider to set up your business phone number.
But, an excellent business contact number should include the following features.
- Ensure uniqueness and distinction from regular numbers.
- People should find it easy to remember.
- It must always be accessible
- Ensure proper network strength.
- It can be connected to an IVR system.
- It can send messages to callers on holidays and off days.
- A call management tool can handle incoming and outgoing calls.
Who Should Have A Business Phone Number?
A business phone number is beneficial for various individuals and entities, including:
- Small Business Owners: Small business owners can benefit from a business phone number to maintain professionalism, manage calls efficiently, and separate personal and business communications.
- Entrepreneurs: Entrepreneurs and startups can establish a professional presence in the market, even when working from home or remotely, by using a dedicated business phone number.
- Freelancers: Freelancers who offer their services to clients can use a business phone number to appear more professional and easily manage client inquiries and project-related calls.
- Consultants: Consultants and advisors can use business phone numbers to establish trust and ensure their clients can reach them for consultations and support.
- E-commerce Businesses: Online retailers and e-commerce businesses can benefit from a dedicated business number to handle customer inquiries, orders, and support.
- Service Providers: Service-based businesses, such as plumbers, electricians, and contractors, can use business phone numbers to manage appointment scheduling and customer communication.
- Nonprofit Organizations: Nonprofits can use business phone numbers to facilitate donations, provide information to supporters, and coordinate volunteer efforts.
- Remote Workers: Individuals working remotely or from various locations can use business phone numbers to maintain a consistent professional presence, regardless of their physical location.
- Sales and Marketing Teams: Sales and marketing professionals can use business phone numbers to track leads and customer interactions, improving sales and marketing efforts.
- Customer Support Teams: Businesses with dedicated customer support teams can use business phone numbers for efficient call routing and providing timely assistance to customers.
- Multinational Corporations: Large corporations with a presence in multiple regions or countries can use business phone numbers with local area codes to cater to specific markets.
- Professionals with Side Hustles: Individuals with side businesses or side hustles can benefit from a business phone number to manage inquiries and orders separately from their primary job.
Different Kinds of Business Phone Numbers in India
Several distinct types of business phone numbers serve a variety of purposes. Here are the primary virtual phone number categories for businesses:
Local Phone Numbers
Phone numbers with local codes are geographically specific. This code typically corresponds to the location of a company’s physical location.
These are the most affordable options for businesses acquiring a new phone number. You may choose local business contact numbers of different area code India mobile numbers than where your business is located. A lot of companies buy various local phone numbers so that they can have a local presence in other parts of the country.
Virtual Phone Number for Businesses
A virtual business phone number is a cloud-based business line that operates exclusively online.
Calls to such lines can be routed over the internet, making it possible for businesses and their staff to take calls from virtually anywhere using any device.
Toll-Free Phone Numbers
Customers can use a toll free number provider in India to call a business for free because the receiver covers the cost.
Toll-free lines start with “800,” “888,” “877,” “866,” etc. Customers can call them at no cost and are not restricted to a single physical area like local numbers. Toll free numbers can be obtained from your telecommunications provider and forwarded to pre existing phone lines. But large corporations typically use these, but smaller businesses that want to appear established can also use them.
Vanity Phone Number
One type of customisable personalized toll-free number is a vanity phone number. This type of number allows you to spell out appropriate words or phrases. A vanity phone number is a continuous sequence of numbers that is simple for an individual to remember. They may be local or toll-free, depending on your preference.
One of the best ways to increase name recognition and number memorisation is to use a vanity phone number. Toll-free numbers are marginally more expensive than vanity numbers.
A vanity cell phone number example is 1-800-444-4444.
VoIP Contact Number
When you sign up for your company’s VoIP service, you are assigned a VoIP business contact number. This number will enable you to make and receive VoIP calls. This number format costs more than the others, but it has flexibility and extra features that the other types don’t have.
Adding a VoIP business phone number to your existing phone service won’t cost you anything more.
International Toll-Free Business Contact Numbers
Accessing a toll-free number from another country is only sometimes possible and is often costly. Customers may reach you from any country with an International toll-free number, saving them the hassle and cost of long-distance calls.
Interactive Voice Response (IVR) numbers are used by businesses to automate customer interactions by allowing callers to navigate through a menu system using their keypad. IVRs are commonly used for customer support and information hotlines.
Short codes are typically 5-6 digit numbers that businesses use for various purposes, such as marketing campaigns, contests, or customer feedback. They are easy to remember and often used for SMS-based interactions.
Long codes are standard mobile or landline numbers used for two-way communication via SMS. They are often used for customer feedback, surveys, and SMS-based services.
Virtual Fax Numbers
Some businesses still rely on fax communication, and virtual fax numbers allow them to send and receive faxes digitally without the need for a physical fax machine.
DID Numbers (Direct Inward Dialing)
DID numbers are used by businesses to assign unique phone numbers to individual employees or departments. They are often used in call centers and for managing incoming calls efficiently.
International Toll-Free Numbers:
Businesses with international operations may use toll-free numbers that are accessible from multiple countries. These numbers typically start with a global toll-free prefix like +800.
While not used for general business purposes, emergency numbers like 100 (police), 101 (fire), and 102 (ambulance) are essential for safety and security in business locations.
Premium Rate Numbers:
These are special numbers used for revenue generation, often associated with content or service charges. Businesses may use premium rate numbers for services like voting in TV shows or accessing premium content.
11 Benefits of a Business Phone System
There are many advantages to having a dedicated business phone number. It gives your company a more professional look, makes communication more accessible, and helps you get to know your customers better.
- Boosts the Credibility of a Business: A professional business phone number in India resembles an authorized email address. It gives your business a more professional look and makes a good impact on your customers. It can also facilitate customer interaction, resulting in expedited customer service and dispute resolution. All of these factors contribute to an increase in your company’s credibility over time.
- Improves Mobility: More businesses are working remotely; therefore, it’s vital that consumers can reach you. A business contact number assures that customers can reach you regardless of location or the time of day. It makes customers content and easier to solve problems quickly and without conflict.
- Boosts Overall Productivity through a Mix of Essential Features: Every corporate phone system has features that boost productivity and customer service. Among the available features are an automated assistant that answers your customers’ calls and directs them to the appropriate agent based on their inquiries, call recordings for quality assurance and development, advanced call routing techniques, and much more.
- Call Record and Analytical Reporting: The capability to record all calls made to a business phone number is an essential function. This helps clear up any confusion, get customer information, and determine their pain points. This information can then be analyzed to improve your general efficiency and customer service.
- Privacy: Protects your personal privacy by not disclosing your personal phone number to customers and clients.
- Multiple Extensions: Allows for the creation of multiple extensions for various departments or employees, streamlining communication.
- Call Forwarding: Enables calls to be forwarded to your mobile or other devices, ensuring you never miss an important call.
- Auto-Attendant: Offers automated menus and routing options for callers, enhancing customer service.
- Professional Greetings: Allows for custom voicemail greetings and messages to impress customers.
- Local Presence: You can get local area codes to appeal to specific regions or markets.
- Scalability: Easily scale your communication needs as your business grows without changing your number.
Essential Requirements for Every Business Phone Number
Finding a virtual business mobile app that has the functionality that works best for your business is vital.
- Mobile Application: You must emphasize your phone service’s ability to support mobile applications. It enables you to carry on conversations with clients and coworkers.
- Forwarding Calls: This feature allows you to forward messages to any number of your choosing.
- Automatic Receptionist: An auto attendant is a voice-prompted automated menu that directs callers to the appropriate service. These are fantastic methods for managing calls and ensuring clients can get on hold quickly.
- Message Transcription: You should look for a VoIP provider that can forward your voicemails to an email address or a text message so that you can easily take notes on them.
- Telephone Call Recording: Voicemail transcription provides a written version of your voicemail, but call recording ensures that nothing important is forgotten. Be sure to comply with any laws that pertain to the recording of calls.
- Call Parking Services: This feature lets you put an individual on hold in the cloud, allowing any employee to access the individual who called. So, the best person for the job can take the call, and the customer won’t have to wait too long.
- Analytical procedures: All the information you need to ensure your staff performs efficiently during calls.
A Business Phone Number: When to Get One
The most suitable time for getting a business phone number in India is when you launch your company. Doing so stops competitors from claiming your business’s best phone numbers and makes it appear more established. It’s time to get one, even if you’ve been in operation without a virtual number.
The most common signs that you need a business contact number consist of:
- Customers say it takes a lot of work to find out how to contact you.
- Personal contacts frequently interrupt business conversations, and vice versa.
- You are no longer a sole proprietor; you now have full-time or part-time employees.
- The number of daily calls has increased.
- You need help managing voicemails and return calls.
- Your existing phone number provider lacks advanced features such as call forwarding purposes, voicemail transcription, and call recording.
- If you want more customers to trust your company, you must improve its credibility.
- As your company expands, you must have access to a flexible phone number service.
How to Get a Business Phone Number?
To get a business phone number, follow these steps:
1. Determine Your Needs
Decide what type of business phone number you need. Common options include landline, mobile, toll-free, virtual, and VoIP numbers. Consider your business requirements, budget, and the features you need.
2. Choose a Business Phone System Provider
The first thing to do is choose a reliable supplier and get a business telephone system. This depends on whether you desire a VoIP or a unique business number.
This step is vital because changing your regular number to a business contact number won’t give you the tools to take advantage of the benefits the number offers.
3. Register Your Business
Ensure that your business is legally registered with the appropriate authorities. Some providers may require proof of your business’s existence before providing a business phone number.
4. Sign Up for a Business Phone Service Subscription
Once you’ve chosen a provider for a business phone number, you’ll need to sign up for a subscription. You can select from various pricing options that offer distinct features based on their associated costs. Consider the features you presently require as well as the scalability of the system to support your business’s growth in the coming years.
5. Choose and configure the phone number for the business
Finally, you must choose the company number that best suits your requirements. At this stage, you’ll need to decide on several important details, like the country where the number will operate and which system features you’ll need.
6. Provide Documentation
Some providers may request documents, such as proof of identity, business registration certificates, and address verification. Be prepared to submit the required documentation.
7. Choose Features
Discuss and choose the features you want with your business phone number, such as call forwarding, voicemail, auto-attendant, and any additional services.
8. Set Up Hardware or Software
Depending on the type of phone number, you may need to set up hardware (e.g., desk phones) or install software (e.g., VoIP applications) to use the number.
9. Configure Call Handling
Customize how calls are handled, including call forwarding to specific extensions or numbers, voicemail setup, and call routing options.
10. Test Your Number
Before promoting your new business phone number, test it to ensure that calls are routed correctly, and all features are functioning as expected.
11. Promote Your Business Number
Start using your business phone number on your website, marketing materials, business cards, and social media. Encourage customers to call for inquiries, orders, or support.
12. Monitor and Maintain
Regularly monitor call logs, voicemails, and other features associated with your business number. Make adjustments as needed to improve customer service.
Business phone numbers have several benefits for organizations and customers. It helps businesses develop reputation, increase productivity and effectiveness, reach more customers, and improve customer service.
On the other hand, consumers benefit from enhanced customer service, faster problem resolutions, and the ability to contact a business from any place and at any moment.
A business phone number in India can be set up quickly, but only after thoroughly considering the business’s current and future demands.
Business Phone Number FAQs
What is a business phone number?
A business phone number is a dedicated telephone number used by a business or organization for professional communication.
What types of business phone numbers are available?
Business phone numbers can be traditional landlines, mobile numbers, toll-free numbers, virtual numbers, VoIP numbers, and more.
Why do businesses need a dedicated phone number?
A dedicated business phone number helps maintain professionalism, separates personal and business calls, and offers features for efficient communication.
What is a toll-free number, and how does it benefit businesses?
A toll-free number is a number that customers can call for free. It benefits businesses by enhancing customer accessibility and providing a cost-free means of contact.
Can I get a local area code for my business phone number?
Yes, many providers offer local area codes to give your business a local presence in specific regions or markets.
What features can be associated with a business phone number?
Features include call forwarding, voicemail, auto-attendant, call routing, call recording, and more, depending on the provider.
Is it possible to have multiple extensions with a business phone number?
Yes, many providers offer the option to create multiple extensions for different departments or team members.
Can I use my existing mobile phone for a business phone number?
Yes, you can use your existing mobile phone for business purposes, but it’s often more efficient to have a dedicated business number.
How do I choose the right business phone number provider?
Research providers based on your needs, budget, and the features you require. Compare pricing, customer reviews, and support options.
Are there any legal requirements for obtaining a business phone number?
Some providers may require proof of your business’s legal registration. Additionally, you should be aware of any local or national regulations governing phone numbers and communication.
What types of business phone numbers exist?
There are primarily three categories of business phone numbers: local numbers with area-specific codes, toll-free numbers offering free calling to callers, and vanity numbers that creatively spell out business-related words or phrases.
How much does a business phone number cost?
The cost of a business phone number varies based on the number type and provider. Typically, local and toll-free numbers range from $10 to $30 per month, while vanity numbers tend to start at $50 or higher. The inclusion of extra features, services, and applicable taxes, like call recording or virtual receptionist services, can influence the total expense.
What is the difference between a local and a toll-free number?
A local number is tied to a specific area code, linking it to a particular geographic region. In contrast, a toll-free number permits callers to connect with your business without incurring any fees.
Toll-free numbers are frequently linked with larger, well-established enterprises, and they can play a pivotal role in bolstering customer confidence.
How do I find a business phone number?
You can check Fonada’s business phone number. We assure exclusive and advanced features along with best-possible pricing. You may even check a 3-day demo of the same. Alternatively, you can call us on 1800 137 3839 or email at email@example.com to find a business phone number as per your needs.
How to get a business phone number?
- Sign up on Fonada website.
- Request a Demo
- Choose the number of your choice.
- Add your IVR message.
- Fill the required details and complete your KYC.
- Your business phone number will be activated 1-2 days after the payment is completed.
Can I get a custom phone number for business?
Yes. you can choose the business number as per your choice. You can pick a virtual mobile number or 1800 toll free number based on your business requirements.
Which is the best business phone number provider?
Fonada is one of the leading business phone number providers. With the most appropriate pricing and covering all the important features, we assure you the highest quality services with our provided business phone number.